Thursday 27 November 2014

The true power of peer support

Sometimes, we all need a little support. Even the strongest of us may come to a point in their life where something just can not be fixed, on their own.

As a peer support volunteer, I devote my time to listening to people talk about their worries, and offering them the guidance and reassurance that they are looking for. I have always been more of a listener than a talker, perhaps that's why I love what I do for Diabetes UK. 

Recently however, I admitted to myself that I am the one that needs a little support and guidance, to keep me going. I published a post on my blog and within half an hour of it going online, I had a phenomenal response. Within an hour of my posting on the blog, I had friends reassuring me that they were there for me, that they wished I wasn't in this position, and suggesting resources for me to look at, to get myself out of this deep hole. 

As they say, a problem shared is a problem halved. If you're having a tough time, please please please don't bottle it up. Talk to someone. Anyone. Tal to your dog, if you like! Drop me a line, I'm more than happy to lend an ear.

Twitter: @Loupeersupport

No comments:

Post a Comment